Search This Blog

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Joy Division - Ajanta Theatre, UK 1980

Joy Division - Ajanta Theatre
Derby, UK
April 19,  1980
aka -  A Journey That Leads To The Sun
Very Good to Good Audience Recording@ flac


For your interest I might just mention that I've always seen this gig referred to as the Ajanta Theatre, but back then we all knew it as the Ajanta Cinema. The name is an Indian name because it used to show Indian films, because Derby had (and has) quite a large Indian and Pakistani community. The cinema itself was just outside the town centre and at that time pretty much stood on its own, as I remember. That remoteness - and the fact that it was a bit run down and seedy, made it ideal for holding punk gigs. I saw quite a few bands there between1978-80, including ATV, Stiff Little Fingers, The Lurkers, Manicured Noise, The Pop Group, The Slits, The Mekons. I'd say Joy Division were the biggest name band that played there (especially as it was so late in their history). 
~Steven Pares

Set List:
01. Dead Souls
02. Wilderness
03. Digital
04. Insight
05. Passover
06. Heart And Soul
07. Isolation
08. These Days
09. Transmission
10. She's Lost Control
11. Colony
12. Girls Don't Count/jam with SECTION 25


pass = fbsvw

A Journey '80

1 comment:

  1. Excellent concert but then again I'm a big JD fan.

    ReplyDelete